We are looking for a motivated and passionate relief cook (or chef) to join our Hotel Services team covering our five care homes in Redruth and Penzance, providing high quality catering services for our residents.
This is a full-time position, which could potentially suit two part-time people instead. Candidates will be expected to cover shifts across any of our homes so a valid driving licence and access to transportation is essential.
You must be able to plan, prepare and cook meals for our residents and carry out various general kitchen duties. We use a blended approach to our catering across our homes so candidates will be expected to use a combination of skills to deliver some pre-prepared meals to residents, as well as cook other meals and snacks from scratch, sometimes specific to residents’ dietary and healthcare needs.
Systems are in place which help us to cater for all special dietary needs, so specialised knowledge is not required, although a willingness to learn about ways to fortify meals for people with small appetites who might otherwise lose weight, is essential.
The ideal candidate will have good organisation and communication skills and have experience of working within both larger and small kitchens. The successful candidate will be able to provide flexible annual leave and sickness cover. Empathy with the needs of older people is essential, as is the ability to work well with others both within the catering team and also with our carers, as good relationships here are very important. Someone who is happy to chat to our older residents from time to time, and to discuss dishes and the lives they may have enjoyed in the past, would be an asset.
Working for us
Working hours vary slightly across each of our homes but shifts typically start at 8am through to late afternoons. There is no requirement to work evenings, although outside of the pandemic we do hold occasional, generally seasonal, evening events for residents and their families.
Our hourly rate is £10.02 per hour (£11.61 per hour at weekends, with further enhancements for Bank Holidays).
Examples of approximate wages depending on hours and days worked would be:
20 hours per week = £200 to £216 per week
37 hours per week = £370 to £396 per week (up to £20,600 per year)
Do you have?
- A genuine passion for cooking and baking to a high standard
- An ability to deliver nutritional meals for our residents based on their choice and dietary requirements, and take pride in how meals are presented
- An honest and responsible attitude
- Punctuality and flexibility in your working pattern, including working some weekends
- An understanding of current Food Hygiene and Health and Safety practices and compliance, and an attention to detail
- A compassionate and friendly nature
- A willingness to learn
- Computer literacy would be a distinct advantage
As well as a competitive salary, Anson Care Services can offer:
- Free branded uniforms
- Free DBS checks
- Paid holiday
- Ongoing training and development
- Excellent career development opportunities for the right person
- Full or part-time hours are available